martes, 29 de junio de 2010

Why Does it Take Greg Wilhelm & Gene Calvert 500 Years to Rule on Cases?

I like Judge Greg Wilhelm and Judge Gene Calvert, both in Courts at Law No. 1 and 2, respectively. But they are notorious for taking their sweet precious time in deciding cases, ruling on matters or simply setting court dates and issuing opinions. It's one of the reasons I think Wilhelm lost his re-nomination battle on March 2 to political newcomer Jim Chapman.

This is a very, very awkward predicament: on one hand I love these judges, but on the other, they take way too damn long to decide cases. This is not right. Granted, I don't know the inner workings of the case loads, but my guess is that the lawyers sucking tax dollars out of the government tit benefit more when things are delayed...

This needs to stop.

4 comentarios:

  1. Christine Williams29 de junio de 2010, 13:21

    Judge Greg Wilhelm signed off on an order for temporary custody with out even an affidavit, based on lies from a woman by the name of Ladonna Garrett who is psychotically obsessed with my granddaughter. He has put off the court hearing twice & sent it to mediation. He hasn't even wanted to hear from our side in the case or to look at the evidence we have to disprove all the lies that Ladonna Garrett told so she could steal my granddaughter from my daughter. This all transpired on May 6th,2010 and we're still waiting to see a judge. This lady must have connections in the court system. I want our day in court. I want this woman to be locked up.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Joey G. Dauben | The Palmer Post29 de junio de 2010, 18:51

    If it's any consolation, Christine, that day in court will be coming as soon as I beat the drums on this case in the Court of Public Opinion :)


    And here's Judge Wilhelm's e-mail address if you need it: greg.wilhelm@co.ellis.tx.us

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I believe Chapman won on "name recognition." He wanted the position of criminal judge. He knew he couldn't run up against 3 or 4 people and win. If he spits out decisions on the fly and not consider the whole picture, yes, I guess in your book he will be a better judge.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Joey G. Dauben | The Palmer Post30 de junio de 2010, 4:12

    Jim Chapman made one issue stick, and that was the court appointments that Court at Law No. 1 handed out were giving some lawyers (mainly obese CPS female lawyers) close to six-figure salaries --- all from Court at Law No. 1.


    I've also studied how judicial races in Dallas County work, and applied that belief to the Chapman-Wilhelm race (full disclosure: I voted for Wilhelm.) I believe the defense lawyer establishment seized a big issue and pounded it into Chapman securing the nomination. I think you can see what the defense lawyer establishment in Ellis County is doing to Bob Carroll in the 40th District lead-up to Jan. 1, 2011.



    Chapman, too, won on very high name recognition. But ultimately, it really came down to fiscal conservative issues, and that two, three, four-lawyer appointment list who make close to six figures from that court was the defining issue.

    ResponderEliminar